[GNC] Adding A Business Activity (and integrating with old)

Eric H. Bowen eric at ehbowen.net
Sat May 20 15:21:15 EDT 2023

I've been using GnuCash for personal expenses and for a home-based hobby
business for the past several years now. I'm about to add another
business activity which will be more serious (I'm self-publishing a
book). I'm planning to open a separate business banking account for this
activity and I want to use an entirely separate GnuCash book to keep
track of income and expenses. Note: This will be a sole proprietorship
(at least for now) as is my current hobby business.

My question is: How do I integrate this with my current GnuCash
register? It will be more than a year before I generate any
(significant) income, even if things go well, so there's going to be a
lot of crossover and funds transferred from my personal accounts, both
cash and credit. There are also other items, such as telephone and
Internet service, which can/should be expensed across both activities.
I'm also wanting to track investment and net equity in this activity in
the event that I eventually sell out to an established publisher or else
formally incorporate the business.

I can/will speak with the accountant that I'm using for his
recommendations, but he's completely unfamiliar with GnuCash; when I
mentioned it his reaction was, "What...?" So I want to see how this can
and should be done under the GnuCash interface.