[GNC] cost of goods sold, unsold inventory

Murugan Muruganandam m.muruganandam at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 19:47:43 EDT 2023

Inventory accounting can be done in multiple stages depending on your purchase, processing and selling.  i presume your example is direct purchase of finished product and selling at a margin on cash. if so

Inventory purchase
Asset: Inventory: Product:   Dr 1000
Asset: Current asset: Bank: Cr 1000

Sales

Asset: Current Asset: Bank: Dr 840
Asset: Inventory: Product:  Cr  600
Income: Profit from sales:  Cr  240

so your inventory account will be Dr 400 (cost of your available 4 units)

if you have credit transactions, then you need to use Account payable and Account receivable

Saludos Cordiales

Murugan