[GNC] Invoice system and Deffered Income

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue May 30 08:30:05 EDT 2023

On 5/29/2023 5:44 PM, Sergey Mende wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am trying to figure out if the existing customer invoice system is
> suitable for my needs.
> For simplicity, let's say I have the following accounts:
>
> Current (Bank)
> Undetermined Income (Income, for bank account transactions just imported
> from the online banking)
> Deferred Income (Income, used at invoice creation to track invoices that
> are posted and sent to the customers but not paid yet)
> Income (for invoices that got paid, so the payment actually received as a
> bank transaction and processed as a payment of an invoice)
> Receivable (A/Receivable, for tracking invoices)

No, sorry, but the invoices are part of the business system and only for
use with accrual basis accounting. Can't be used for cash basis
accounting, which is what I sense you are thinking about when you see
":receivables" as "deferred". You will been to familiarize yourself  of
the differences between accrual basis accounting and cash basis accounting.

In accrual based accounting, the "income" is earned when the invoice is
sent, the customer legally obligated to pay and  the amount goes into an
asset account "receivables". When the customer later actually pays (you
mark it paid) that gets transferred to cash (you bank account). If you
don't think of "receivables" as real money, look up what a "factor"
does. In other words, "receivables" might be collateral for a loan or
even sold.

Michael D Novack

PS: When some of us are using the term "deferred income" it is in the
context of tax sheltered retirement accounts. Things like IRAs and 401Ks
(but money going into Roth IRA is after tax, would not be deferred
income). Thus I might have a 401K through work allowing me to
contribute  before tax income up to the regulated limit with the
employer matching up to 3% of salary. In other words, were I selecting
5% of my salary to go into the 401K THAT would be deferred income and so
would the 3% matched by the employer. Not escaping income tax, just
deferring it till after retirement as distributions are taken form the
401K.