[GNC] Dealing with discounts when not using Business Features

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Wed May 31 16:48:47 EDT 2023

As Michael said, this is more an accounting question than a GnuCash
question. Therefore, the usual caveats about regulations in your country.

I was going to propose the same thing as Vincent, but I forbore because
I don't know what a "bursary" is. But I'll say I quite agree with
Vincent's approach. I think his "what would you want to see on a P&L?"
is the salient point.

When I set up GC for the charity on whose Board I serve, a similar
question arose with donations made by PayPal -- are the PayPal fees an
expense or a reduction of income? I set up a placeholder account
"Income:Net Donations" with two subaccounts, "Income:Donations" and
"Income:Fees". A typical transaction would be
    Debit: Cash $9.51
    Credit:Donations $10.00
    Debit: Fees $0.49
We _don't_ "control each side", in Vincent's words since Paypal is a
separate entity and takes its cut before we get the rest, but even so I
think this is appropriate because then the P&L shows donations net of
Paypal fees, which after all is the amount that we actually collect. In
your case, where you _do_ control both sides, I think it makes even more
sense.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com