[GNC] Dealing with escrow account

Jediator jediator at artemisspace.com
Thu Nov 2 00:33:47 EDT 2023

In addition to setting up the proper account structure, I would make
your mortgage company as a vendor and set up a bill each month with
split transactions to map to mortgage-related subaccounts (e.g, property
tax, insurance, interest and principal) as such:

  * Mortgage Payment
      o PMI
          + Tax (expense)
          + Home Insurance (expense)
          + Managment Fees (expense)
          + Escrow (remaining asset, balance may go negative)
      o Loan Payment
          + Principals (asset or loan)
          + Interests (expense/deductible)

The advantage is that you have a vendor report to track all mortgage
payment and each bill payment will automatically split the
transactions.  You may set up a limit in tax and insurance account each
year so that when the payment reaches the max, it goes to the escrow
account (remaining balance), and reconcile these accounts at manually at
tax time.  Hope this helps.

-- JC