[GNC] noobie question about split transactions

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 14:20:33 EST 2023

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Gnucash.

If you didn't receive an error message I suspect your transactions are
still there, perhaps in the auto created imbalance account which will be
right down the bottom of your accounts list on the accounts tab ?

Were you entering and searching from your credit card register ?  Have you
tried going to the accounts tab itself and doing a "Find" (Ctrl-F) from
there for a unique description in one of the txns - this searches all
registers NOT just the one you might have been in ?

I'm surprised you have 50-60 splits on a single txn up to about 10 I could
understand ? Each txn is a number of splits but that many is a bit over the
top :-)

Something that may save you a bot if angst is to export a good txn from the
Credit Card register as CSV then in a spreadsheet open the csv file and
duplicate the original exported txn updating the values appropriately and
then save as CSV and re-import to gnucash after saving a copy of your
file.  If you don't like what you see you can close gnucash without saving,
adjust the csv file and repeat.

Cheers David H.