[GNC] Have I got my USD accounts set up wrong?

David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 05:00:20 EST 2023

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 at 09:18, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> Once again - please remember to reply to the list...

OOps.

> It was several replies up the thread, but I was replying to your point
> about being able to delete payments for only some currencies. (though
> you've now discovered that currency isn't a limitation)
>
> Here was my posting:
>
> > Let's get some terminology and workflow straight:
> >
> > 1. Using the Business Features, Invoices and Bills are entered in a
> separate UI, *not* directly in an account register.
> >
> > 2. Posting these, results in transactions appearing in the respective
> A/R or A/P accounts.
> >
> > 3. Those transactions are immutable at this point and cannot be edited
> or deleted from either the AR/AP accounts, or the other side of their
> transactions. (Income accounts in the case of Invoices, or Expense accounts
> in the case of Bills) At this point, no bank account or other 'payment
> account' is involved.
> >
> > 4. Payments can either be entered via the 'Process Payment' function, or
> entered directly into an appropriate account register. (or imported into
> said register) If directly entering or importing, you then have to
> right-click the transaction and choose 'Assign as payment' to bring up the
> 'Process Payment' dialog to formally link the payment transaction to an
> Invoice or Bill. These transactions affect and appear in the source account
> and either AR/AP accordingly. They are always editable and delete-able from
> any affected register. The Invoice/Bill posting status has no bearing on
> this. However, while you can edit them directly, you generally should do so
> by right-clicking and choosing 'Edit payment'.
>
> Does that clear up the issue concerning deleting payments?
>
> Note, I think there is a bug concerning invoices showing still as paid
> after a payment is deleted, but that might only be in the Invoice UI.
> I'm not sure that is the case everywhere. I'd have to investigate. I
> also don't know if that bug has been filed.
>
> Regardless, if after deleting a payment, you unpost and repost the
> invoice, it should now show as unpaid since GnuCash can't find the
> original payment to re-link it.
>
> There is nothing odd about being able to delete a payment.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

I think I must be going mad.😪

I thought in the past I had always observed an error message if trying to
delete a transaction in the bank account that was attached to a posted
invoice, using the business features and AR or AP. .

But I just checked a previous installation on another computer (slightly
earlier release on Linux) and found it is possible to simply delete an
entry from the bank account, despite it being attached to a posted invoice.

Did I just dream there was an error message generated if one tried to
delete a transaction in the bank account, for which there was a posted
invoice?

Dave