[GNC] I need basic help

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 06:51:57 EDT 2023

As a non-accountant (although I pretend to be one sometimes) I can't figure
out Dr/Cr except that Dr=left,Cr=right.

But I do understand numbers (referring to dollars, or, a hot potato).

My 4 Rules:
1. Each transaction must total to zero (i.e. after a transaction is
complete, no hot potato burning my hand)
2. A positive balance in my bank account is reassuring (lots of hot
potatoes in my bank)
3. An income amount is usually negative, because it denotes the world.
(i.e. when I receive income, the world loses some potatoes).
4. No potatoes are created or destroyed

Example. I offer labour, I get paid in dollars
Income:Salary -$200
Asset:Bank +$200

I purchase from the shops
Asset:Bank -$50
Expenses:Groceries +$50

I invest some of my dollars, and borrow a lot of dollars to buy a house.
Asset:Bank -$100
Liability:Loan -$99,900
Asset:House +$100,000

etc.

Note within a transaction the total must always be zero. Incidentally
Gnucash stores amounts exactly like these potatoes above.