[GNC] Transaction inconsistency when deleting account

Jediator jediator at artemisspace.com
Tue Sep 5 00:28:35 EDT 2023

Thanks for all your responses.  I guess the discussion went off track
here. Again, it's not a double-entry accounting issue, nor it's a split
issue, but a transaction consistency issue (probably related to database
transaction implementation).

Let's not to discuss whether it's a good idea or not to delete an
account that contains transactions.  It's a valid user function in GC to
delete a non-empty account.  If you follow the double-entry accounting
rule, the related transactions in other accounts should be deleted.
Instead, the related transactions in other accounts didn't get deleted
but got assigned to the default Inbalanced-USD account (so the
double-entry rule still hold here!).  However, if you delete the
transactions individually, this problem won't occur. Transactions in
double-entried accounts will be deleted correctly.

The use case:  I was importing credit card transactions to an account
via csv.  After importing, all transactions got double-entried to the
default Inbalanced-USD account. After changing the Inbalanced-USDs to
the correct expense accounts for all the imported transactions, I
realized that I wasn't using negated amount for the credit card before
importing.   So I decided to get rid of the credit card account and
create and re-import everything from scratch (luckily GC allows you to
do this), thus the inconsistency problem.

Thanks!