[GNC] Advanced portfolio report picking up wrong price

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Feb 3 17:00:53 EST 2024

On 2/3/2024 2:13 PM, Dan O'Brien wrote:
> (With screen shot attached this time).
>
> I can’t make heads or tails of scheme code, so I’m not sure where to even look for the issue here.

LOL ---- You would want to have experience with LISP or at the very
least, some experience with some "functional" language. Most of us who
do programming were first exposed to a "procedural" language, might even
be fluent in several "procedural" languages, but are more or less
helpless faced with a "functional" language. Even those of us who
learned c have only used it as a procedural language (except, of course,
for function calls) even though c CAN* be used as a "functional" language.

With a procedural language, we do something step by step. With a
functional language, we evaluate some function. But note that we might
not be interested in the final result of that evaluation (might be just
"true" or "false") but what happens along the way. That's what can make
a language like scheme (a dialect of LISP) seem very strange. But again
referring to c, when we call a function, what it returns might just be a
pointer (to a structure whose contents were altered during evaluation of
the function -- THAT is what we cared about as opposed to where it
happened to be located, which we knew before the function was called)

Michael D Novack

* When I was learning c "for fun" after retirement, because of a
discussion on a c list, I was challenged to rewrite one of my c programs
as a pure function. Yes, it is possible. Keep in mind that origins of c
at Bell Labs. It was intentionally designed not to be committed to much
so the lab engineers could use it for anything.