[GNC] Automatic account match doesn't work when import transactions

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:39:31 EST 2024

Yes  the whole Section 6.16.7 applies to the Generic Transaction
ImportMatcher Window.

>From memory if you left click on the transfer account field "Account"
in a selected record it should bring up the account selection dialogue.
A right click anywhere on the record will bring up a popup menu from
which you can select "Assign a transfer account" which works
whether there is a single or multiple records selected.

There is only one record selected or more than one. You can select
multiple records then select a single transfer account to be applied to
all of them.

The meaning of the checkboxes and the color of the line backgroundis
given in Table 6.1.

If the Imbalance account is assigned because there is no match the
background color of the record will be gold. Right click to get the
popup menu select "Assign a transfer account and select the desired
account.

There are two levels of matching going on. The first is whether the
imported transaction matches an existing transaction already in
GnuCash. This determines the setting of the checkboxes. You can
override this decision by manually checking another checkbox or
unchecking all of them

The second is to match certain data in the transaction being imported
to the Bayesian probability tables constructed from previous imports to
a given account to assign the transfer account automatically.

The data in some fields (Description, amountof the imported record are
tokenized as single word tokens and the probability tables contain the
frequency which which a given data token is associated with the
assignment of a given account.  An overall probability is then
calculated for whether the record should be assigned to the various
possible accounts that have been assigned to similar transactions in
previous imports. The highest probability account is assigned if the
probability score is above a preset threshold, other wise it is
assigned to the Imbalance account so that it is flagged for manual
assignment after the import process. The token frequency data for the
assigned GnuCash account for each record is updated when you close the
Generic Import Matcher WIndow with "OK".

Yes if you uncheck all boxes, the background should go red indicating
that the record will not be imported at all.

Hope this helps. I am working from memory as my desktop is down at the
moment so apologies if there is anything not correctly described. (I.e.
try the other mose button if what I said doesn't work)

David