[GNC] Bank Balance Higher Than Actual

G R Hewitt hewittgr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 04:16:37 EST 2024

Hello Paul,
There are many possible reasons why your GnuCash (GC) bank balance is
higher than the actual bank account, and so you will need to be methodical
in your approach to fixing it.
In the first instance, I would go through the statements from the bank and
see if there are any entries that you cannot account for or don't recognise
and investigate those. When satisfied that the bank account is as it should
be, I would then check the bank entries in the GC bank account(s) against
the
bank statement proper and make the necessary corrections until the GC bank
accounts agree with the bank, putting anything you can't immediately figure
out into a suspense account for later investigation.
When the GC bank account(s) agree with the bank statements, you are then
better placed to sort out the internal GC accounting errors. Be mindful
that fixing one error may raise another,
so fix them as they arise before moving onto the next. Don't expect this to
be a five minute job, you will be disappointed. Finally, make notes as you
go as to what was wrong, these will prove useful later on.
And yes, reconciling, religiously, every month is a far better proposition
than ' ... every year or so'.