[GNC] Help

David Cousens davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 18:58:14 EST 2024

Max,

The backup files and log files give you some protection in the event of a system or GnuCash crash. The backup files are
a copy of the data file at its state before the last time it was opened before a crash. The log files record the
transactions which had been entered in GnuCash up to the point the crash actually occurred. You can open the last backup
if the datafile is corrupted during a crash and then import the log files to recover the transactions you had entered in
the last seesion in which the crsh occurred. The last entry in the log file can also give you informationabout why a
crash occurred if it was a GnuCash crash and not a system crash.

It is generally useful to retain them. BY default the retention period is usually 30 days but you can set it to any
period that works for your workflow. Backup and log files older than the retention period form today's date are deleted
when GnuCash is started up so the files will not build up to occupy too much of your hard disk space.

It is wise to also have a periodic backup to another system and/or offsite storgae to optimize your chances of recovery
in the vent of a hard disk failure.

David Cousens