[GNC] 2 questions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Jan 10 14:40:17 EST 2024

I recall that file fiasco. I'm glad you finally got it sorted!

Any time you are starting over completely, you will not get auto-fill
suggestions until you have transactions that match in the register already.

Note, this is true between accounts even without starting over.

If you use one Description in say, Checking, and then switch to a
Savings account and try to use the same description, unless it was used
already in the Savings register it will not be suggested by auto-fill.

This is a per-register (account) suggestion only. It only reads and
suggests text *in that register*.

If the balance 'got messed up' the best (and more proper 'accounting')
solution is to find the error and fix it, or else, enter a correcting
entry with good notes in it to explain its existence, and then later
when you find the error - delete the correcting transaction after you
fix the errors. Starting fresh just for a balance error is the path to
madness eventually. (will you do this each and every time you notice the
balance is off?!)

I use the Imbalance account to post correcting entries. That way, I can
find them easily for later research and deletion by simply viewing the
Imbalance account register.

Regards,
Adrien