[GNC] Importing from one gnucash file to another

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon Jan 15 18:05:17 EST 2024

James:

On 2024-01-15 03:59, James Wilde wrote:
> I am rationalising my accounting in Gnucash and have previously had
> one instance of Gnucash for each year.  I now would like to load an
> [earlier year's data] into the current year.  I have exported the
> earlier year as a csv file (I have used semi-colons instead of commas)
> but when I go to the current year to import it does not seem to be a
> possibility. It appears as though I must in some way edit the exported
> file in order to import it....

Interesting.

I imagine that some more specifics about what you are observing might
help others on the list get you through the next step.

You say, "when I go to the current year to import it does not seem to be
a possibility."

You have run GnuCash and opened the book file for the current year, the
file which will receive the earlier file's data, correct?

You are selecting the menu item, File -- Import -- Import Transactions
from CSV, correct?

Does the Transaction Import Assistant appear?

Are you able to get past the first page of the Assistant? Does the
"Select File for Import" page appear?

In the "Select File for Import" page, are you able to locate the CSV
file which has the earlier data?

Is the name of that CSV file displayed as regular (black) text, or is it
greyed-out text?

If you click on the name of the CSV, and click the "Next" button? Does
the "Import Preview" page appear?

Do you encounter any problems on the "Import Preview" page? Are you able
to click "Next"? Does the "Match Import and GnuCash accounts" page appear?

(and so on…)

I am using GnuCash in English. If you are using GnuCash in Swedish, and
my English-language names do not translate easily to yours, I apologise
for the confusion.

> Both the earlier year and the current year have the same account list.
> I am using Build ID: 4.12+(2022-09-24).

Thank you for supplying those important facts. What computer OS are you
using? Windows 11?

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt