[GNC] Compare two sets of accounts?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Jan 21 16:36:02 EST 2024

On 1/21/2024 11:05 AM, Myron A Schroeder wrote:
> Where do I find the " --nofile runtime parameter."
>
> Looks like an interesting way to have more than one set of books on my
> computer.

What operating system are you using? Perhaps as much to the point, if
you are getting to gnucash by a "shortcut" (an icon that you click) do
you know how to look at what that is actually doing? How to edit that?

For example, if you are running under Windows and have an icon for
gnucash, and you RIGHT CLICK on that icon you get a drop down list of
things you can do with that shortcut. At (or near) the bottom of that
list is "properties" (let me look at the properties of this object). If
you click on that choice (and the shortcut was to the application
gnucash) you'll see those properties. That it is an application (the
type of the target), where located (in a binary library) and exactly
what the target is (what clicking on the object sends to the command
line to execute, since that's what is done for an application.

WELL -- you can edit that line to add a runtime parameter, in this case,
append --nofile (space in between)

Michael D Novack

PS --- STRONG SUGGESTION --- Do not simply do this. First make a copy of
that object (the same dropdown list where "properties" was) and rename
it. THAT is how you can back out a failed attempt. Now try to do the
edit of the target (add the --nofile)  Back out and see what happens
when you click the icon now. If it works (brings up gnucash without
opening any file you are done (delete the backup copy). Otherwise you
can use "copy" again to retry.