[GNC] End of year

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon Jan 29 14:39:50 EST 2024

On 2024-01-29 06:04, Mahon Finbar via gnucash-user wrote:

> OK, I want to do it properly, but I had an email crash and .....
>
> So, can someone point me or send me the 'how to' for doing an end of
> year process, where I can 'inherit' the names from the autocomplete
> from the previous years?

You might want to start with this email thread: "[GNC] Why or why not to
do year-end closing journal entries? (Close Books?)" from December 2023
<https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-December/109762.html>.

My top lesson about year-end closing books using GnuCash is, you don't
have to do it. And so I don't. My books contain over 10 years of
transactions at this point.

If you don't close books and start a new book file, then the existing
book file, which you continue to use, will continue to provide
autocomplete from previous years.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt