[GNC] File format question

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Wed Jan 31 13:11:44 EST 2024

Hi all, perhaps I should be asking this on the developer's list, but I
figured that misdirecting here would be less disruptive / annoying than
miscrirecting there. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I'm investigating using logfiles as a means to identify changes that will
be made by my accountants for my year end. This leads me to two questions

First, is there documentation I can look at on this topic"? I didn't find
anything in the user guide, but am not particularly surprised at that.

Second, I notice that the main data file is binary. I thought it was XML
(perhaps that was at version 4?) But what's odder is that even if I
expressly request "save as XML", I still get a binary file. Is this
compressed, and if so, does anyone know what the compression is? I'm aware
that interpreting the logs will be much easier if I can correlate the UUIDs
of the accounts (used in the logs) with the actual account info (which I
have previously seen in a tolerably intelligible format in the XML files of
old).

Any pointers / references?

TIA
Simon