[GNC] Imbalance Records with zero amounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 02:46:43 EDT 2024

Paul,

I have never had a zero value imbalance line fail to disappear when I
edited any transaction.  Granted, I never intentionally tried various
sequences of edits to see if I could make one stick, since it was always my
goal to balance the transaction so that I could save it and go on to the
next edit.  However, I also did not have a favorite procedure of editing
debits or credits first.  Sometimes entering a description in a split line
intentionally brings along an account name and value from a previous edit
in that account.  That might temporarily create an imbalance that might
stay for a while before I get the transaction balanced.  If a nonzero
imbalance does exist, another edit to effectively create an offsetting
imbalance is all that is required to make both of the imbalances
disappear.  I have never worried about values because GnuCash always sorts
left side first then zero value splits next and right side splits last.

Sorry to ramble but I just never noticed anything weird about imbalances in
many years of experience with them.  They just came and went as I was
completing transaction edits.  I would estimate that more than 60 percent
of my transactions have three or more split lines too.

David Carlson