[GNC] Multiple Fiscal Years

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 2 12:37:29 EST 2024

Adrien,

If you follow the mailing list link in Flywire's original, https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-October/097880.html, you'll see that it shares a hack of the Scheme relative-date code to shift the calendar year by a hard-coded 6 months. GnuCash 5 includes a rewrite of the option system in C++ so the hack can't be applied any more.

But I think it's unnecessary since changing the accounting period in preferences to e.g. 1 July 2023 - 30 June 2024 accompanies the same thing, the only problem being that you annually have to update the years. Note, though, that the accounting period preference is a bit too flexible: The relative dates are hard-coded to the first or last day of the calendar month, so they won't work if the period starts and ends in the middle of a month, and they assume a 12-month period so using some of the relative dates with an accounting period of more or less than 12 months will create reports that don't align with the period.

Regards,
John Ralls