[GNC] gnucash-user Digest, Vol 252, Issue 3

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Tue Mar 5 00:22:05 EST 2024

Before you get tempted to pay for a stop-payment order (just to be sure…), check the terms and conditions written in your bank agreement. Many banks don’t promise to actually not pay the check. There are often weasel words about “best effort” etc. It happened to my sister. She paid for a stop-payment order. When the check arrived at the bank, they paid it. Then they hit her with an overdraft fee because the supposedly stopped payment took her balance below zero. Eventually, she got them to refund the stop-payment fee and the overdraft fee, but they told her she’d have to get the money back herself from the payee.
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com