[GNC] How to get a report in a format which is easy to edit?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Mar 6 00:54:35 EST 2024

Yes, those PDFs are indeed reasonably editable. Even LibreOffice can
pull it off.

Otherwise, your answer is to either edit the HTML (which is the native
format of the reports once rendered) or put them in a spreadsheet which
relieves you of the HTML and leaves you with rows and cells that are
easily customizable, manipulable, and upon which you can perform
functions since the cell contents aren't just 'images' but rather actual
text and/or numbers some of which have known formats.

What exactly are you asking for otherwise? Magic?

What *exactly* (with maybe an example?) do you mean by "look nice?"

I'd hazard whatever you are attempting is easily achievable via moving
to a spreadsheet app.

But let us back up one step.

You are now speaking not of editing per se, but of presentation. That's
a different beast entirely.

And for that, GnuCash offers some features. Look into and investigate
(play with) stylesheets for reports. You might be able to customize an
existing one either using its preset features, or even use the 'custom
css' stylesheet.

Otherwise, you can of course, delve in to writing your own, but now
you're treading into that 'dreaded HTML' ground you erroneously think is
so treacherous.

Regards,
Adrien