[GNC] Adding ASSETS & LIABILITIES to sub accounts

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 20:00:00 EDT 2024

> I make money personally, I own a couple of properties, and I also
design and manufacture audio devices. These are basically different
entities...

I doubt it. If they are all reported as part of the one tax return they are
enterprises rather than entities. Entity finances are normally kept
separate with separate tax returns, bank accounts and cashbook files
(despite what can be done).

Accounting is set up to report on accounts. Dimensional accounting
describes reporting on other things, such as enterprises, but it is not
directly implemented in GnuCash although various workarounds are used. When
I purchase fuel for one entity I also record the enterprise, ultimately for
the tax return which requires separate Primary Production reporting.

Using subaccounts has been described and I'll refer to my previous comments
about filter reports:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2024-May/111804.html

The developers haven't responded to my request to comment on why, despite
significant revision to standard reports, ultimately the functionality to
report all transactions by filter (matched and unmatched) was not included
in GnuCash and is only available as a custom report.

Regards