[GNC] Access problems fetching shares prices from Australian Stock Exchange
Chris Good
goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 04:01:19 EDT 2026
From: Peter Lamb <peter_lamb2001 at yahoo.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2026 4:23 PM
To: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
Cc: Chris Good <goodchris96 at gmail.com>; gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Access problems fetching shares prices from Australian Stock Exchange
On 11/7/2026 14:36, John Ralls wrote:
That suggests you have a network problem rather than something wrong with F::Q 1.70.
Hi, John. Thanks for responding. I disagree about it being network problem, because the error seems to me to be originating from the server - it seems to be refusing the SSL protocol handshake because it is proposing a protocol version that the server does not accept:
SSL connect attempt failed error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure
I also disagree about the networking problem suggestion because Firefox can successfully retrieve the QAN data using the same https://asx.api.markitdigital.com/asx-research/1.0/companies/QAN/header link that fails in F::Q.
When I do the query on ASX:QAN using gnucash-cli, I get the same result as when I do the query using Perl directly and when I try to fetch share prices in the Gnucash Price Database GUI:
% /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/gnucash-cli -V -Q dump asx QAN
Application Path /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/gnucash-cli
Finance::Quote reported a failure for symbol QAN: Unable to fetch data from the ASX server 'https://asx.api.markitdigital.com/asx-research/1.0/companies/QAN/header'. Status: 500 Can't connect to asx.api.markitdigital.com:443 (SSL connect attempt failed error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure)
%
Curl is able to fetch the JSON data from that URL:
% curl https://asx.api.markitdigital.com/asx-research/1.0/companies/QAN/header; echo ''{"data":{"dateListed":"1995-07-31","displayName":"QANTAS AIRWAYS LIMITED","priceAsk":10.43,"priceBid":10.33,"priceChange":0.019999999999999574,
"priceChangePercent":0.19249278152068885,"priceLast":10.41,"sector":"Industrials",
"industryGroup":"Transportation","securityType":1,"symbol":"QAN","volume":3729869,
"xid":"237135","marketCap":15964252393,"statusCode":""}}
%
That also suggests to me that a protocol issue in Perl's SSL libraries (rather than necessarily in F::Q itself) is the cause of the failure.
Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,
I agree it seems to be a problem with your perl modules or libraries.
I’m afraid I know very little about macOS, but
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Installing_Finance::Quote_on_macOS
has quite a lot of info.
If it was for Windows or Linux, I’d be running:
First Backup all perl stuff or full computer
cpan upgrade Finance::Quote
which also installs unsatisfied dependencies (can take a long time)
and then
cpan r (list modules that can be upgraded)
cpan upgrade (upgrade all modules)
John Ralls probably has a better idea for macOS…
For Windows, in the past, I have had to uninstall/reinstall perl & Finance::Quote to get around some problems,
but as perl is part pf macOS, I’ve no idea how to do that.
Regards,
Chris Good
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list