[GNC] Access problems fetching shares prices from, Australian Stock Exchange
Jediator
jediator at artemisspace.com
Thu Jul 23 16:48:30 EDT 2026
Peter, I am not sure if this thread had come to a satisfactory closure,
but I was able to take an old MacBookPro 13" i5 out of the basement and
baselined it with the spec you provided. After installing the latest
GnuCash and updated Finance::Quote, I was able to run quotes against ASX
(see attached screenshot).
I guess the remaining options would be to reinstall both the MacOS and
XCode before do another round of Finance::Quote update. Sometimes when a
computer is cluttered with many parts that overlay on each other, it's
hard to figure out what really cause the problem. A baselined approach
would definitely help.
Cheers!
-- ND
On 7/13/26 9:28 PM, Peter Lamb via gnucash-user wrote:
> On 13/7/2026 20:02, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
>> If you have installed OpenSSL in anyway (natively hopefully it
>> compiled and installed with no issue; or through homebrew) then
>> installing those additional modules in Perl is not going to cause any
>> problems. Just install them in that order.
>
> Hi, Kalpesh, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Before I started using Gnucash 5.16, the OpenSSL that was installed on
> my MacBook was working just fine.
>
> I don't use homebrew at all, for Perl or for anything else.
>
>> I also recommend to run:
>>
>> #cpanm --scandeps Finance::Quote
> I don't have cpanm installed, I've been using cpan to do updates, and
> it doesn't appear to have a corresponding option.
>
>> Alternate I can suggest is to run
>>
>> openssl s_client -showcerts -servername <website_name> -connect
>> <website_name>:443 </dev/null
> I've done that, and it appears to establish a connection, but then
> gives a "poll error" error message (which may be just because stdin
> has been fed from /dev/null):
>
> ... lots of other debug stuff including dumps of certificates ...
> SSL handshake has read 4478 bytes and written 401 bytes
> ---
> New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is AEAD-AES256-GCM-SHA384
> Server public key is 2048 bit
> Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
> Compression: NONE
> Expansion: NONE
> No ALPN negotiated
> SSL-Session:
> Protocol : TLSv1.3
> Cipher : AEAD-AES256-GCM-SHA384
> Session-ID:
> Session-ID-ctx:
> Master-Key:
> Start Time: 1783989375
> Timeout : 7200 (sec)
> Verify return code: 0 (ok)
> ---
> poll error
>
>> Perhaps you may also want to try to see if F::Q works with another
>> pricing source (Yahoo for example) and be able to fetch pricing from
>> there. You will have to work through all these to find a single thing
>> that is hick-upping.
> I tried that, and I get the rather less than helpful error message
> "Error accessing www.yahoo.com:", when I try to fetch the QAN price
> either in Gnucash or direct in Perl. I get the same error whether I
> use yahoojson or yahooweb as the source.
>
> % /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/gnucash-cli -V -Q dump
> yahoojson QAN
> Application Path /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/gnucash-cli
> Finance::Quote reported a failure for symbol QAN: Error accessing
> www.yahoo.com:
> %
>
> The error may simply be because I'm using the wrong symbol, but the
> error message is unhelpful in that regard. I tried all of QAN, AX.QAN
> and ASX.QAN.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: GnucashCLI-Screenshot.png
Type: image/png
Size: 497153 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/attachments/20260723/40912b01/attachment-0001.png>
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list