[GNC] Account tree
Liz
edodd at billiau.net
Sat Jul 25 17:25:49 EDT 2026
On Sat, 25 Jul 2026 09:36:43 -0700
Clint Chaplin <joatmon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Longer explanation: I keep the books for a group that has three
> meetings a year, in March, July, and November. Everything is focused
> on those three meetings, and very little happens (financially)
> outside of those meetings. At one point we had the ability to keep
> finances on a system that implemented tagging, and it was glorious!
> Unfortunately, the parent organization changed finance software
> several times since then, and none of the replacements have tagging.
>
> Each meeting has income (meetings fees, primarily), and expenses
> (F&B, AV, meeting rooms, etc). I'm keeping the finances in a rather
> elaborate spreadsheet that goes back to 2011 that we've sorta agreed
> will be our source of truth, but we want to switch to something more
> open and portable.
>
> I was hoping that with Gnucash I could use an account tree that
> started with the year, then the meeting, then the associated income
> and expenses, to sorta implement tagging. But it is not to be.
> Beancount is an option that has been suggested that actually has
> tagging, but I have other issues with its philosophy.
You could be able to achieve this with filtering and reports, assuming
that bills come in on time and the receipts are on time.
Liz
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list