[GNC] Account tree
Wm Tarr
wm at ilipsis.net
Sun Jul 26 04:33:36 EDT 2026
On 2026-07-25 17:36, Clint Chaplin wrote:
> Why? tl;dr: to implement the missing ability to have "job
> costing"/"tagging".
>
> Longer explanation: I keep the books for a group that has three meetings a
> year, in March, July, and November. Everything is focused on those three
> meetings, and very little happens (financially) outside of those meetings.
> At one point we had the ability to keep finances on a system that
> implemented tagging, and it was glorious! Unfortunately, the parent
> organization changed finance software several times since then, and none of
> the replacements have tagging.
>
> Each meeting has income (meetings fees, primarily), and expenses (F&B, AV,
> meeting rooms, etc). I'm keeping the finances in a rather elaborate
> spreadsheet that goes back to 2011 that we've sorta agreed will be our
> source of truth, but we want to switch to something more open and portable.
>
> I was hoping that with Gnucash I could use an account tree that started
> with the year, then the meeting, then the associated income and expenses,
> to sorta implement tagging. But it is not to be. Beancount is an option
> that has been suggested that actually has tagging, but I have other issues
> with its philosophy.
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2026 at 3:52 PM David Cousens <davidcousens49 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
Did you know you can filter on tags in the transaction report?
I'd set it up as
Income:meeting fees
Income:F&B
Income:AV
etc
BUT leave all account types as INCOME
Wm
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list