[GNC] Best way to track expenses for trips

Stephen M. Butler stephen.m.butler51 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 14:14:25 EDT 2026


Assign each trip a unique code/word/ID and ensure that went into the 
description field for each expense.  That way if a couple of trips 
overlapped on dates you could separate them.


On 7/27/26 10:19, Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) wrote:
> Assuming this is vacation, not a trip for business, as each expense
> occurs I debit Expenses:Vacations, credit the appropriate credit card or
> cash account, and put details on the Description line.
>
> I've never wanted a report for this specifically, but if I did I would
> filter by dates in the report options.
>
> Stan Brown
> Tehachapi, CA, USA
> https://BrownMath.com
>
> On 2026-07-27 10:04, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
>> Just want to get refresher in how someone would track all expenses -
>> flights, boarding, individual tariffs, etc. -- related to a trip but without
>> creating new account for it and later be able to generate a report per
>> individual trip to see how much it was.
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.



More information about the gnucash-user mailing list