[GNC] Best way to track expenses for trips
Kalpesh Patel
kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Thu Jul 30 14:52:28 EDT 2026
Yeah, I was looking for "foo in Description AND fee in Notes AND fum in Memo" ... like you put forward, might just make sense to add a single string in Memo field concatenation of three separated by a hyphen which is likely to do the same.
Will be experimenting soon so "I suppose you'll be the one to find out and let us know!" will get answered soon.
-----Original Message-----
From: Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2026 1:32 PM
To: gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Best way to track expenses for trips
No Idea. I'm guessing the text will be matched in all three so any transaction that has it in any one will be included. (no way to say 'only look at Description' for example)
thus: foo in Description OR foo in Notes OR foo in Memo = TRUE
But what you seek is more of:
foo in Description AND fee in Notes AND fum in Memo
You can maybe figure out a regular expression to look for a particular combination, but since the info is in three parts, it might fail not being all together.
Alternatively, you could do the same with an 'or' expression rather than an 'and'. (Not certain that is possible with regex, but I'd think it is)
I suppose you'll be the one to find out and let us know!
That sounds really complicated. Could the tagging be simplified and still maintain the info you want in the transaction? (maybe even develop an independent tag from all of that info or including parts of all three and placing that in one spot for the filter)
Regards,
Adrien
On 7/29/26 4:52 AM, Kalpesh Patel wrote:
> Using Options > Filter > Transaction Filter is likely the way.
>
> My boat would float a lot better if I can use combo of Descriptions (live it alone since I let import clobber it), Notes (date range of trip) and Memos (location of trip). Is that possible or is the filtering looks at only a single field in totality?
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list