[GNC] PPA vs. Flatpak Questions

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Sat Jun 6 16:15:59 EDT 2026


On 06/05/2026 02:11 AM EDT, Adrien wrote:

> I'm not familiar with that PPA so cannot advise on risks. But I 
> found this: The actual PPA is:

> ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gnucash

> which is part of a collection of PPAs under the auspices of 
> UbuntuHandbook. (https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/about/)

> The> Gnucash package here is maintained by the user "Panda Jim" who 
> is a member of the "Gnucash packaging team" group on launchpad.
> (not necessarily officially affiliated with the Gnucash developers)
> This team has as one of its administrators Bruce Schuck who packages 
> Finance Quote used by Gnucash.

> "Panda Jim" (Ji m) is one of the approved packagers for this group.

> There is also:

> ppa:gnucash/ppa

> which this group maintains.
I had noticed last year that ppa:gnucash hasn't been updated in a long 
while. I was able to contact the former maintainer team and have it 
transferred to myself.

While "Panda Jim" is not affiliated with the GnuCash developers, his 
ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gnucash was kept somewhat up to date. I have reached 
out to him and I am waiting for a response.

Myself, while I am familiar with creating custom ".deb" packages (I do 
this in my day job for some in-house applications), I have yet to tackle 
the details of creating ppa packages. My goal is to not depend on Panda 
Jim, but to assist in filling in the gaps while he is busy with other 
applications (he does contribute quite a bit to other applications).

I have yet looked at possibly being also able to provide "snap" packages 
for GnuCash.

Bruce S.


More information about the gnucash-user mailing list