[GNC] 3 Vendor Bill Tool

Mike Brasler mike at gilana.org
Fri Jun 26 11:07:01 EDT 2026


Hi.
I import in .csv every month and usually trip-up on some recurring errors.
Perhaps this will help you in error trapping.

The bank issues a PDF statement which is the de-facto truth at month end.
The bank also allows download of a "Movements" file in .xls customizable 
dates etc, the two never agree!

The latter is multi-column and a lot of column removal happens, next, I 
have to check that the txns that occurred near the ends of period do, in 
fact, appear on the PDF statement. This is a PITA, but if not done, I 
will not balance. Also, the date of those transactions must match, and 
not be "Pending" otherwise I will not balance. Another annoyance is the 
transaction date vs. the activity date. I always use txn date. Finally 
the bank .xls is in descending date order (oldest at bottom) and CG 
needs ascending. Grrrrr! I wanted you to be aware of the traps and gaps 
between external entities data formats and GC.

Finally I have to delete all rows that are Amazon transactions as, with 
Business.amazon.com there is a huge suite of reporting tools that allow 
custom field creation, with mandatory selection from a pick-list derived 
from GC and uploaded to amzn. These fields "Account" and "Description" 
are entered at time of purchase, and are imported into GC at month end. 
Amzn sends the report in various formats, csv preferred.

Good Luck, - Mike.


More information about the gnucash-user mailing list