[GNC] New question: designating classes for expenses.

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Sep 12 10:59:56 EDT 2026


On 9/11/26 17:26, flywire wrote:
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/pull/363 is insightful; the
> Transaction Report doesn't support sorting by Account Type, which is the
> real reason it won't produce financial reports. Simply adding it as a
> sorting option would severely compromise the report since it only supports
> a primary and a secondary sort key.
> 
> Logically, any use of accounts has an implied account type prefix. I think
> that needs to be added to the Transaction report, which would resolve the
> issue. I started to work through it after the changes in GnuCash 5.14 but
> gave it away during validation.

That is an interesting approach. I was thinking filtering needed to be 
added to the P&L and Balance Sheet, but since the Transaction Report is 
already the 'mother of all reports' that is likely the better route.

> This is a hard sell. You only see what you are looking for, and since
> GnuCash doesn't support multidimensional reporting, it is a self-selected
> community that doesn't understand its benefits.
I think there are plenty of folks here who see the benefits. Lack of 
such isn't why the capability doesn't yet exist. I think that is just a 
matter of resources (time) from volunteers who have other pressing 
priorities. (like getting the code base to a state, and based on an 
architecture, that will allow for easy creation of such reports.)


Regards,
Adrien



More information about the gnucash-user mailing list