[GNC] GnuCash Language
John Ralls
jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Sep 12 14:39:08 EDT 2026
Pedro,
Hard to say if it’s an installer problem, a transcoding problem, or if something damaged the installation later. Can you try reinstalling to the original path again? If it works then it was most likely post-installation damage or maybe incomplete removal of a previous installation—a Windows problem that’s popped up a lot lately. If it fails, then check whether the translation files and DBI drivers are correctly installed as I asked on Thursday. If not then there’s something wrong with the installer. If they are installed correctly then the problem is in converting from the Windows path in UTF16 to a UTF8 encoding that GnuCash can use.
You might also try a future branch nightly build, https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-on-windows/actions/runs/34695230852/artifacts/10298995592. (Derek and I are working on getting those copied over to code so they’ll be easier to find). The future branch builds are on the latest version of the program that builds the Gnucash-setup.exe installers; stable uses a quite old version that isn’t as Unicode-aware.
Regards,
John Ralls
> On Sep 11, 2026, at 23:01, Pedro Albuquerque <pmra at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you John :)
>
> Kinda following Liz' tip, I repeated the uninstall processed and reinstalled on a different folder, C:\Users\Pedro Albuquerque\GnuCash\, and GC also worked fine. I then installed it on D:\Programas\GnuCash\, everything fine. It seems the problem is with the accent in 'Escritório'.
>
> So, since we can choose any installation folder, I guess the installer needs some update? Or is this a Windows issue?
> Should I add this to my request in Bugzilla?
>
> -----
> Regards,
> Pedro Albuquerque
> Join StarLink <https://starlink.com/?referral=RC-DF-11719992-38576-14>
>
> Em 11/09/2026 às 16:57, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> escreveu:
> Pedro,
>
> That’s not necessary. Installers are special in that they can only run in admin mode so they’ll pop a user access control (UAC) dialog to ensure that they have the necessary privilege and consent. See https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/application-security/application-control/user-account-control/.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
>
>> On Sep 10, 2026, at 21:51, Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>
>> P.S. I ran the installer from a local administrator account and as
>> administrator, just in case...
>>
>> -----
>> Regards,
>> Pedro Albuquerque
>>
>> Em 11/09/2026 às 05:47, "Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user"
>> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> escreveu:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Liz, John, thank for your help.
>>>
>>> Liz, I did a full search on the C: drive and found no other file.
>>>
>>> John, I completely uninstalled GC using Revo Uninstaller, which also cleans
>>> all the remains. I then searched the registry for 'gnu' entries and deleted
>>> them all. I downloaded GC again, from the official website, obviously
>>> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/5.16/gnucash-5.16.setup.exe),
>>> and reinstalled it with all default values.
>>>
>>> And that solved the problem. It seems GC doesn't like it when I put it in a
>>> different folder. Maybe you can get a clue for how to prevent this from
>>> happening.
>>>
>>> Many thanks everybody, for your time and trouble.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Regards,
>>> Pedro Albuquerque
>>>
>>> Em 10/09/2026 às 21:56, "Liz" <edodd at billiau.net> escreveu:
>>>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2026 12:44:03 +0000
>>>> Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Thank you Murugan, for the suggestion.
>>>>>
>>>>> If I rename the file like that, .local becomes the file extension.
>>>>> Not sure if that is what you want. Anyway, GC still starts in
>>>>> English.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> A few Windows versions back, Windows started saving config files in
>>>> another place and using the saved one, not the one you changed.
>>>>
>>>> I haven't used Windows for many years, so if you can't find a secret
>>>> cache of config files used in preference to your one, others will have
>>>> to assist.
>>>>
>>>> Liz
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>> -----
>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-user mailing list
>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
>
>
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list