[GNC] Account Customer Matrix

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 10:06:16 EDT 2026


Neil and others,

I've had a quick look over the Java code, the GnuCash book, and your
spreadsheet. You definitely have a matrix here, but it only superficially
looks like QuickBooks classes at the moment. Regardless, it is something I
never imagined and an excellent effort!

I'm not familiar with accounts receivable or accounts payable (AR/AP), but
I don't think that is relevant to what you are trying to achieve here with
multidimensional accounting. I really see this setup as a great basis for
building filtered, standard financial reports down the line.

However, I note as others suggested, that you have duplicated the
Assets:Principal Invested and Liabilities:Escrow account trees for each
property, with the Liabilities:Escrow property tree being split even
further. This structure effectively means you wouldn't be able to import
account data straight into your book. Rather than fragmenting the chart of
accounts like this, it would be much better to keep the ledger uniform and
add filterable data directly to the transactions instead. I'm also
concerned that splitting the text as it stands makes it too difficult for
filtering.

I've thrown all of this code at an AI assistant to see what it could do.
Working through some of the absolute crap it throws back at you can be
incredibly frustrating, but if you push through, it is actually quite
useful for prototyping.

I've attached a working concept script based on what it generated. Just a
heads-up: the columns are currently hardcoded for the test matrix because I
didn't get around to dynamically basing them on filtered report field text.
My thoughts are to condense the customers and properties into alphanumeric
text without spaces, which would be much easier to filter and use as matrix
columns. I’d do that before doing any more work on the report itself.

Anyway, the concept gives you an idea of how it works. I’ve attached the
GnuCash file as text-based XML, along with the Scheme (.scm) file.

I’d welcome any comments.

Regards

>
-------------- next part --------------
  Account Customer Matrix

   Period: 01/01/2026 to 31/12/2026

   Use code with caution.
   AI Generated concept with minimal verification.

   Account Customer 1 Customer 2 Other Total
   BANK
   Assets:Wells Fargo 323.00 45.00 -252.99 115.01
   Total Bank 323.00 45.00 -252.99 115.01
   ASSET
   Assets 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Assets:Principal Invested 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Assets:Principal Invested:Property 1 -2.00 0.00 200000.00 199998.00
   Assets:Principal Invested:Property 2 0.00 -16.00 350000.00 349984.00
   Total Asset -2.00 -16.00 550000.00 549982.00
   LIABILITY
   Liabilities 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Liabilities:Escrow 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Liabilities:Escrow:Property 1 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Liabilities:Escrow:Property 1:Collections -64.00 0.00 0.00 -64.00
   Liabilities:Escrow:Property 2 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Liabilities:Escrow:Property 2:Collections 0.00 -12.00 0.00 -12.00
   Total Liability -64.00 -12.00 0.00 -76.00
   INCOME
   Income 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Income:Interest Income -6.00 -3.00 0.00 -9.00
   Income:Late Fees -1.00 -14.00 0.00 -15.00
   Income:Reimbursed Legal Fees -250.00 0.00 0.00 -250.00
   Total Income -257.00 -17.00 0.00 -274.00
   EXPENSE
   Expenses 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
   Expenses:Bank Charges 0.00 0.00 2.99 2.99
   Expenses:Legal Fees 0.00 0.00 250.00 250.00
   Total Expense 0.00 0.00 252.99 252.99
   Grand Total 0.00 0.00 550000.00 550000.00
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: FiscalAssets.gnucash
Type: application/x-gnucash
Size: 66565 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/attachments/20260916/0785358a/attachment-0001.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: account-customer-matrix.scm
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 11950 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/attachments/20260916/0785358a/attachment-0001.obj>


More information about the gnucash-user mailing list