[GNC] GnuCash Language

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Sep 18 11:05:43 EDT 2026


Pedro,

Yes, the “stable” in that URL mean that it’s the currently released stable branch. They’ll be released at the end of next week as GC 5.17. That one-off link I gave you last week is on the future branch. Those are built using Github CI; Derek and I need to work out a way to get code to copy them to make it easier for people to find.

Regards,
John Ralls


> On Sep 17, 2026, at 21:00, Pedro Albuquerque <pmra at protonmail.com> wrote:
> 
> You're making fun of me. Nice :))
> 
> Since we've been around for so long, you might remember from when I started translating GC I never liked GitHub or really understood git. This page is a lot more friendly. Thanks, I saved it as bookmark.
> 
> This is now working, it installs in a folder with accents and runs in Portuguese. dbd folder is there with all files. The only thing I noticed is that the installer is pointing to Brazilian again. I guess you reverted back to the current one. Not a problem.
> 
> Thank you for all this John.
> ​
> -----
> Regards,
> Pedro Albuquerque
> Join StarLink <https://starlink.com/?referral=RC-DF-11719992-38576-14>
> 
> Em 17/09/2026 às 17:52, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> escreveu:
> Pedro,
> 
> Sorry, serves me right for assuming that someone who’s been around as long as you have would know that “Tomorrow’s nightly build” means go to https://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/stable and get the build with tomorrow’s (now today’s) date: https://code.gnucash.org/builds/win32/stable/gnucash-5.16-2026-09-17-git-5.16-119-g6b69ea7278+.setup.exe
> 
> Regards,
> John Ralls
> 
> 
>> On Sep 17, 2026, at 02:37, Pedro Albuquerque <pmra at protonmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> John,
>> 
>> Using that same URL I get a file dated 12 Sep 2026
>> 'gnucash-2026-09-12-fb15dc1+.setup.exe' with the same results, no dbd folder
>> and English as GUI language.
>> There must be other updated URL I'm not finding.
>> 
>> -----
>> Regards,
>> Pedro Albuquerque
>> Join StarLink
>> 
>> Em 17/09/2026 às 02:04, "John Ralls" <jralls at ceridwen.us> escreveu:
>>> The dbd drivers are getting installed in the wrong place on the future
>> branch; it looks like there’s a change in behavior with the newer version of
>> the installer-builder. I’ve pushed a fix for that.
>>> 
>>> With a little help from my agents I’ve pushed some commits to force the
>> file-loading code to use UTF-8 instead of the old DOS code pages. They’ll be
>> in tomorrow’s (i.e. 17 September’s) nightly build. Please give it a try.
>>> 
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>> 
>>> 
>>>> On Sep 13, 2026, at 9:05 AM, Pedro Albuquerque <pmra at protonmail.com> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> And for the nightly build:
>>>> D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\gnucash.mo
>>>> 
>> D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\gtk30-properties.mo
>>>> D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\gtk30.mo
>>>> D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\iso_4217.mo
>>>> 
>>>> dbd folder is missing
>>>> 
>>>> -----
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Pedro Albuquerque
>>>> Join StarLink
>>>> 
>>>> Em 13/09/2026 às 16:55, "Pedro Albuquerque via gnucash-user"
>>>> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> escreveu:
>>>>> I couldn't get it to work there, it doesn't recognize 'Escritório'. But
>> all
>>>> seems good. Here is the list of files:
>>>>> 
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\gnucash.mo
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\gtk30.mo
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\iso_4217.mo
>>>>> 
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdmysql.a
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdmysql.dll.a
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdpgsql.a
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdpgsql.dll.a
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdsqlite3.a
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdsqlite3.dll.a
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdmysql.dll
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdpgsql.dll
>>>>> D:\Programas\GnuCash\lib\dbd\libdbdsqlite3.dll
>>>>> ​
>>>>> -----
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> Pedro Albuquerque
>>>>> [Join StarLink](https://starlink.com?referral=RC-DF-11719992-38576-14)
>>>>> 
>>>>> Em 13/09/2026 às 16:45, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> escreveu:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> Pedro,
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Good to know, but there’s still one thing I need to know: Are the
>>>> translation files and DBI drivers installed? The former should be in
>>>> D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash\share\locale\pt\LC_MESSAGES\ and the latter
>> in
>>>> D:\Programas\Escritório\gnucash\lib\dbd\.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>> John Ralls
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Sep 12, 2026, at 21:31, Pedro Albuquerque <pmra at protonmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> John,
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Tried the nightly build, exactly the same problem. Nice new installer,
>> at
>>>>>>> least it recognizes Portuguese, instead of pointing to Brazilian.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> No worries now that I have it in Portuguese AND you developers are aware
>>>> of
>>>>>>> this. Thank you for your help!
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> -----
>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>> Pedro Albuquerque
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Em 12/09/2026 às 21:31, "John Ralls" <jralls at ceridwen.us> escreveu:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Patrick,
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Hmm, it started a download immediately for me. Were you logged in to
>>>> GitHub
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> at the time? Try visiting
>>>>>>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-on-windows/actions/runs/34695230852
>> and
>>>>>>> clicking the gnucash…setup.exe link under Artifacts.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>>> John Ralls
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On Sep 12, 2026, at 12:33, Patrick James via gnucash-user
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> I get a 404 from the link.
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> On 09/12/2026 11:39 AM PDT John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> led correctly then the problem is in converting from the Windows path
>> in
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> UTF16 to a UTF8 encoding that GnuCash can use.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> You might also try a future branch nightly build,
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>> 
>> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-on-windows/actions/runs/34695230852/artifacts/10298995592.
>>>>>>> (Derek and I are working on getting those copied over to code so they’ll
>>>> be
>>>>>>> easier to find). The future branch builds are on the latest version of
>> the
>>>>>>> program that builds the Gnucash-setup.exe installers; stable uses a
>> quite
>>>> old
>>>>>>> version that isn’t as Unicode-aware.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>>>>> John Ralls
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>>>>>>>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
>>>>>>>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>>>>>>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>>>>>>>> -----
>>>>>>>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>>>>>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>>>>>>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
>>>>>>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>>>>>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>>>>>>> -----
>>>>>>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>>>>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> gnucash-user mailing list
>>>>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org
>>>>> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
>>>>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
>>>>> -----
>>>>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> 



More information about the gnucash-user mailing list