Thoughts about the stock quote database

Steven Rutter steven@centercube.com
12 Dec 2000 21:29:35 EST

A few months back I wrote a perl/gtk program called GtkPortfolio [can be found
on freshmeat]. It will automatically update quotes for multiple portfolios,
view news, charts and allows you to set price alerts. I released it on
freshmeat under the Artistic License because I though others might find it
useful - but it was written for my personal use because I couldn't find
anything comparable.

Recently one of your developers, Linas, contacted me and mentioned the
possibility of integrating it with gnucash [i assume as a seperate app that
shares gnucash's database].

It's in need of a rewrite to clean up the code [I also believe the news feature
has broken since i first wrote it] and add some more features I intended to
build in after I first released it.

I haven't touched it in a good while, but if there is interest in integrating
it with gnucash's database I'd be willing to do that. Just let me know what you
need.

On a side note I've since switched from linux to openbsd for my workstation and
my first attempt at compiling gnome wasn't good. So before I can even take a
look at gnucash I'll need to get that working - if anyone has successfully
compiled gnome on openbsd [2.8] please share your notes.

Thanks,
Steven Rutter