Thoughts about the stock quote database

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 01:50:45 -0800

Steven Rutter writes:

> A few months back I wrote a perl/gtk program called GtkPortfolio [can be foun
> on freshmeat]. It will automatically update quotes for multiple portfolios,
> view news, charts and allows you to set price alerts. I released it on
> freshmeat under the Artistic License because I though others might find it
> useful - but it was written for my personal use because I couldn't find
> anything comparable.
>
> Recently one of your developers, Linas, contacted me and mentioned the
> possibility of integrating it with gnucash [i assume as a seperate app that
> shares gnucash's database].
>
> It's in need of a rewrite to clean up the code [I also believe the news featu
> has broken since i first wrote it] and add some more features I intended to
> build in after I first released it.
>
> I haven't touched it in a good while, but if there is interest in integrating
> it with gnucash's database I'd be willing to do that. Just let me know what y

We're just starting to design the price database for gnucash, but it would
be nice if the two programs could share/update the data. So please stick
around :)

> On a side note I've since switched from linux to openbsd for my workstation a
> my first attempt at compiling gnome wasn't good. So before I can even take a
> look at gnucash I'll need to get that working - if anyone has successfully
> compiled gnome on openbsd [2.8] please share your notes.

I think if you search on the gnucash archives (search entry is on the
main gnucash webpage) you will find a few messages about openbsd &
gnucash.

dave