QIF imports from NetBank and Vanguard using GnuCash 1.4.7

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
17 Oct 2000 15:10:59 -0400

Hi,

I've got accounts with Vanguard and NetBank, both of whom support QIF
downloads of account information.  None of my downloaded QIF files
load properly into GnuCash.  I'm trying to understand the QIF parsing
code to see what's going on, but I can't find any documentation about
either a) QIF File Formats, or b) how the QIF importer actually works.

A few things to note:

 1) Vanguard QIF files are obtained per fund.  If you have multiple
    funds in an account (as I do), and you have transfers between
    accounts (automatic re-investments), then the transfers get
    labeled 'LUnknown' in the QIF file.  That's ok, I can fix that via
    a PERL script.

    However, the splits don't get matched up properly.  I wind up with
    duplicate transactions, one transaction came from fund A's QIF
    import, the other came from fund B's import.  The fund A QIF says
    that it's buying N shares at price X for a value of $100 from
    LUnknown, and in fund B it says that its selling M shares at price
    Y for a value of $100 to LUnknown.  I change the LUnknown to
    L'Foo' (filling in 'Foo' appropriately for each transaction).  The
    only reason I can guess for such behavior is that GnuCash can't
    match the values properly; it's looking at the number of shares.

    I'm not sure how to fix this one.

 2) When I import a NetBank QIF files, all transactions are imported
    as deposits to the account (income).  Looking at the QIF file, it
    uses the following list of Action Values (N-strings):

	ATM/POS Withdrawal
	Check
	Deposit
	Interest Credit
	Miscellaneous Debit
	Overdraft Instant Credit
	Transfer Deposit
	Withdrawal ACH
	Withdrawal Correction

   My guess is that the parser doesn't understand these terms, so it's
   defaulting to 'income'.  But I'm not sure.  I could also create a
   PERL script to munge the QIF file and change the Action fields into
   something more appropriate, but honestly I don't know what to
   change them to.

I'm willing and able to share my QIF files to get to the bottom of
this.  I'm also willing to code, if I knew what changes I needed to
make.

Any help would be appreciated.

-derek

PS: I noticed that Vanguard now support OFX downloads, and I can
download a single OFX file with all of my funds in it..  Maybe that
will help down the road?