What can I do to help?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
02 Oct 2002 12:45:58 -0400

[guile-devel removed from CC list]

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> writes:
>
> > This way you don't need to modify main.scm every time you create a
> > new module (which is hard for third parties).
>
> Emacs has a similar issue (at least in Debian).  Do you enable
> tex-site for *all* users, or just for the ones that call
>
>   (require 'tex-site)

I think if the SysAdmin wants to enable tex-site for all users, they
should be able to do so.  Similarly, if the SysAdmin wants to let
users choose, they can do that too.

> ?  I'd want to try to find an approach that makes it easy to make
> add-ons available, but also provides some way the user can turn them
> on/off for themselves.  This "turning-on/off" should be at a high
> enough level so that turning it off means most of the modules code
> isn't even loaded.  Once you get a large number of modules, especially
> if you have some large ones, even the load times can become a
> significant expense.

This is, unfortunately, not possible given the current gnc-module
infrastructure.  The gnc-module code links in ALL modules, regardless
of whether you plan to load them, at init time.  So you wind up
ldopening() EVERY module EVERY time.  Worse, this ldopen() happens
in directory order!

See the code in gnc-module.c's initialization...