tutorial on multi-currency accounting

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Feb 22 03:09:22 EST 2007

Hi,

I noticed that multiple currencies in GnuCash do not work very well
with double-entry accounting. I have investigated the issue and
written a tutorial explaining how double-entry multi-currency
accounting should work. Perhaps someone may find this interesting:

http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/tutorial.html

I have also written a fairly detailed critique of multi-currency
accounting in GnuCash, with some suggestions for how it could be
improved. Unlike the tutorial above, this second document is specific
to GnuCash, but must be read after the tutorial:

http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/gnucash.html

I hope someone will find this useful, and perhaps even implement it.
Comments?

Thanks, -- Peter