AUDIT: r17421 - gnucash/trunk/lib/libqof/qof - Add a new function to the gnc_numeric library that converts denominators to exact powers of ten.

Micha Lenk micha at lenk.info
Wed Sep 3 15:28:08 EDT 2008

Hi Christian,

Christian Stimming wrote:
> For sure negative numbers will and must never suddently turn into the inverse
> of a number. Negative != inverted. Really. Always.

<nitpicking>
I object: Negative numbers *are* inverses of the corresponding positive
numbers with addition being the operation and zero (0) the neutral
element. For multiplication (which is a little bit more related to
powers than addition) the inverse element of a number is its reziprocal
with one (1) being the neutral element. (These are basics of group
theory in mathematics.)
</nitpicking>

Apparently the design of gnc_numeric_compare() and gnc_numeric_equal()
messed up inverse elements of the two totally different and independent
operations addition and multiplication in a way contradicting
mathematics.

Regards
  Micha