OS X/Quartz create a bundle fails

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jun 10 11:24:47 EDT 2010

On Jun 10, 2010, at 7:42 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Thursday 10 June 2010, John Ralls wrote:

>>> That takes care of the illegal src attribute for the binary tag. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Next issue I run into:
>>> bash-3.2$ ige-mac-bundler gnucash-unstable.bundle
>>> Cannot find source to copy: /Users/janssege/gnucash-
>>> unstable/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help
>>>
>>> There is indeed no such directory on my system. Do you perhaps build
>>> gnucash- svn with a different configuration in you local
>>> .jhbuildrc-custom which pulls in the gnucash documentation as well ?
>>
>> Yes, I build gnucash-docs-svn (or gnucash-docs for a stable build) as the
>> last target in my "modules" list. It would probably make more sense for
>> you to just comment out the documentation element in the bundle file.
>> Depending on what you're doing, you may also want to comment out the
>> translations elements as well.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
> I'm asking all these questions to be able to improve the documentation...
>
> I have disabled the docs part for now. Next missing piece:
> /Library/Frameworks/Stripped/QtCore.framework
>
> I have /Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework
> So it seems we have selected different Qt downloads. Where did you get the
> "Stripped" ones that are referred to in the bundle file ?

I think that I made them by running "find /path/to/Qt -name *.dylib --exec strip \{\} \;" . That's probably not something you need to worry about; I did it because of complaints about the download size. The easy solution for you is to just make the path line up, but perhaps I should change the paths around on my build machine.

> I'm mainly building on OS X (and Win32) to make sure my changes won't bluntly
> break the build on other platforms. On OS X this means I also should test the
> installer, because of it's custom launcher script that's not part of the
> gnucash source repository. I'm very happy with gnucash OS X. While I don't use
> it myself very often, I've got several OS X using friends that are or would be
> well served by it.
>
> As a side goal, I use this opportunity to proof-read the wiki documentation on
> building gnucash on OS X. I have the advantage to start from an empty setup,
> so I quickly notice anything that is undocumented or silently assumes extra
> steps.
>
> The wiki page doesn't mention anything about gnucash-docs-svn or gnucash-docs.
> So when strictly following the steps outlined in there, I think "Making a
> Bundle" will fail, is that correct ?

Yes, obviously, since it did for you.

There's a fundamental conflict in the gnucash bundle between things that are needed to make a distributable bundle and what an individual needs for a single local installation. The wiki goes in one direction, the actual scripts go in another. Lacking any indication that anyone is actually doing any building or bundling, I haven't done anything with the wiki since the last time you bugged me about it, but I have changed the scripts and modules to deal with complaints about not having translations and to integrate external changes (like the new version of ige-mac-integration). I'll put some time in today to get the wiki reflecting everything I do to build the distribution. After all, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, it should be possible for someone else to take over the OSX maintenance.

Regards,
John Ralls