Migrating gnucash website from svn to git

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 27 09:06:07 EST 2012

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> OK. Sounds like you've got the next action item, get the email hook
> set up. After that, you can install git-svn-mirror from Github and
> work out how to trigger it from svn. I think you can clone the Github
> repos to save some time (it takes several hours to make a fresh
> git-svn clone of an svn repo), then use git-svn-mirror to update it
> directly from svn.

Do we really want to continue using SVN once we migrate to git?
Note that I'm talking about the gnucash repo, not htdocs here.

> A bare git repo is one that has no working files and puts all of the
> git state files in the main directory instead of in a .git
> directory. You can't commit to it, or checkout branches, but you can
> do just about anything else, including pushing to another repo.

Fair enough.  I'm just not sure how you specify where to push/pull from
if it's not a clone, i.e., if it's just been pushed to from somewhere
else.

> I highly recommend Pro Git [1] to help you go from git rookie to
> expert. It's free online or you can buy a dead-trees copy for bedtime
> reading.

In my copious amounts of free time ;)