Lots and Capital Gains Discussion

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Dec 30 22:48:59 EST 2015

> On Dec 30, 2015, at 6:45 PM, Emily Zora <milliehandshrimp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK. I have more to think about. Making lots identifiable would mean you could have splits from multiple accounts assigned to one lot.
> I noticed too that in the current scrub implementation, say you buy 100 and then sell 50, you end up with two lots (lot 0: 50 closed, lot 1: 50 open) instead of one lot (lot 0: 100 start/50 left open). When originally developed, was it important to have a lot have one input and one output split? This creates extra splits in the account which may be confusing.

I don't think anyone around now really knows what were the design assumptions. IMO the design and implementation are both rather opaque; it always takes me several hours to figure out what's going on when I need to work on that section of code. I haven't done so for several months, so I'm back to being a bit fuzzy about it.

I don't think that there's a good conceptual reason to split lots when one does a partial sale, so I suppose it was done to simplify the implementation of something. What that might be would take some study.

Regards,
John Ralls