updating unit trust prices automatically

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 19:44:28 -0500

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:24:56AM +1200, Glenn Walbran was heard to remark:
> Hello
>
> More on updating unit trust prices, what i've tried so far.
> After Linas' advise I shifted focus to hacking the Finance::Quote
> modules. The T.Rowe.Price module looked like a good start so I did the
> following:
> 1) Saved the T.Rowe.Price csv file on a local web server and add my unit
> trust prices to it.
> 2) Hacked the T.Rowe Price module to get csv file from my local web
> server and changed the currency to NZD.

ideally, you would add support for urls of the style 'file:/some/path'
so that you don't need a web server in the middle.

> Sadly this didn't work. I think the module hacks are ok, it works with a
> simply perl script I wrote to test it. Gnucash returns a nice message
> saying "unable to retrieve quotes" I set up another stock account using
> another stock source and that had the same error when updating making me
> think that the problem was in gnucash not getting to the Finance::Quote
> module. Any ideas how I can test this???

well, create an account with ibm stock in it, get prices from yahoo for
that.  If that doesn't work ....

if it does, then you have to insert print statements into finance;quote
to figure out what's different ...

--linas

--
I'm very PUBLIC-MINDED, I'm helping a NIGERIAN get his $25,000,000 back!