GnuCash & euro?

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 09:41:59 -0500

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 04:09:52PM +0300, Sami Littow was heard to remark:
> Hi there,
>=20
> As far as I understood, you are the author of GnuCash. First, thanks for=
=20
> designing such a helpful program, I've been using it for almost 2 years n=
ow=20
> and it's been for great help!
>=20
> Now I have one (major) problem:
>=20
> How to convert my saved finances to Euros without messing everything up? =
I've=20
> managed my finances in finnish markka's (FIM) so far and as you might alr=
eady=20
> know, we'll change the currency to Euro's since beginning of year 2001.=
=20
> Perhaps I'm not the only one to ask this?

A good place to ask this question is on gnucash-user@gnucash.org, where
there are hundreds of people, some with possibly similar problems.

The 'normal' way to do this would be to close the accounts in FIM, and
create new, similarly named accounts, in euro's.  This is really the
only 'correct' way to do it.

(I'm guessing that you want to avoid doing this, that you merely change=20
the 'reporting' currency.  New features in gnucash 1.7/1.8 will
help with this, but at best will only hide the problem. A fim is not a
euro, even though it may be convertible to one ...)

--linas=20

--=20
I'm very PUBLIC-MINDED, I'm helping a NIGERIAN get his $25,000,000 back!

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--