Problem with width settings in register windows

Keith Refson Keith.Refson@earth.ox.ac.uk
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:37:28 +0100

Since upgrading to 1.6.1 I have had an annoying problem with the
widths of register windows.  These are annoyingly inconsistent with
the widths of the text displayed resulting in some columns being far
too wide, and others sufficiently narrow that you can't read the amounts.

For example, a regular bank account window, the starting width of
"Description" is 30% larger than the longest string to be displayed.
Worse, Gnucash will not allow me to shrink this -- I can drag the
column separator in the header to the left, but it just bounces back
to where it was.  (*Increases* are allowed for some reason).  Dragging
the RHS of the "Transfer" column to the left makes the situation
worse, and INCREASES the minimum width of "Description", keeping the
RHS of "Transfer" at exactly the same spot.

The "Deposit" and "Withdrawal" columns are too narrow and can not
display 4-figure amounts (or even the text "Withdrawal").  Again,
dragging the RHS marker of thr "withdrawal" column leftwards increases
the minimum allowed width of "Description".

Is this behaviour a bug, or expected?  I compiled using gcc 2.95.2 on
a sparc-sun-solaris platform.

Keith Refson
--
Dr Keith Refson,        "Paradigm is a word too often used by those who would
Dept of Earth Sciences      like to have a new idea but cannot think of one."