tracking "debt" to charity, with cost accounting

Seth Gordon sethg@ropine.com
29 Aug 2001 15:53:16 -0000

My wife and I want to make sure that 10% of our (income minus
student-loan payments) goes to charity.

The most logical way to do this is by creating a "charity payable"
account; I could transfer 10% of every paycheck from my checking
account to C/P, split the source of every student-loan payment 90:10
between checking and C/P, and make all charitable donations directly
out of C/P.  However, if I do it that way, then GnuCash will not have
an accurate running balance for the checking account, and checks
written to charitable organizations will show up in C/P, but not in
the checking account.

What are better ways to handle this?

--
"Rav would never cross a bridge when an idolator was on it; he said, 'Maybe he
will be judged and I will be taken with him.'  Shmuel would only cross a