gnucash success

James A. Treacy treacy at debian.org
Fri Apr 2 17:17:53 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:03:47AM -0500, Chris Bare wrote:
> This was the final step to prove to myself that I could abandon quicken. My
> bank recently informed me that Intuit was going to stop supporting the version
> I use and I would have to buy an upgrade even though I didn't want any of the
> new features. Thanks to gnucash I did not have to give in to this extortion
> attempt by Intuit.

I had a similar run-in with my bank. About 2 years ago they dropped
the ability to download qif files. I asked them why they couldn't keep
the current download capability while adding qfx and got in reply,
'the software developer (Intuit) has decided to concentrate on the QFX
file format and discontinue updates for the QIF file format for use by
financial institutions.'

So either they were afraid to continue offering something not
supported by the vendor or something in their contract with Intuit
forced them to drop it. Given the awkward response, I suspect the
latter.

Luckily, ofx support was added to gnucash soon after this.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy at debian.org