Unbearably slow load time

Cliff Dyer jcliffdyer at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:28:06 EST 2004

I am running gnucash 1.8.9 on NetBSD 1.6.2 on an IBM ThinkPad T23, from the
pkgsrc collection.

It is compiled against:

ORBit-0.5.15nb7
g-wrap-1.3.4nb6
g-wrap-1.3.4nb6
gal-0.22nb6
gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0nb3
glib-1.2.10nb8
gnome-libs-1.4.2nb4
gnome-print-0.36nb6
gnome1-dirs-1.5
gtkhtml-1.1.10nb5
guile-1.6.6
guppi-0.40.3nb13
libglade-0.17nb7
libxml-1.8.17nb3
p5-Date-Manip-5.42anb1
p5-finance-quote-1.08nb2
popt-1.7nb5
xdg-x11-dirs-1.1

When I try to fire it up (from a terminal), it does a whole lot of nothing
before it ever loads up.  Looking at the output of top, guile ran for 19m 37s
of processor time before the splash screen even came up.  The main window
appeared after 20m 16s of processor time (from the initial invocation, not
from the splash screen) and a whopping 52 minutes of real time.

 During operation, I got the following errors (some repeatedly):

** WARNING **: could not find signal handler 'gnc_register_date_cb'.
** WARNING **: could not find signal handler 'gnc_register_today_cb'.
** WARNING **: could not find signal handler 'gnc_register_date_toggle_cb'.

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_handler_block_by_data(): could not find
handlercontaining data (0xDEADBEEF)

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_handler_unblock_by_data(): could not find
blocked handler containing data (0xOXDEADBEEF)

And finally, when I accidentally opened an edit account window, I got the
following:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkarrow.c: line 174 (gtk_arrow_set): assertion
`GTK_IS_ARROW (arrow)' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktogglebutton.c: line 284
(gtk_toggle_button_set_active): assertion `GTK_IS_TOGGLE_BUTTON
(toggle_button)' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x8A17600)

And then the program crashed.  This was my first time using GnuCash.

I'm guessing this is some problem in the libraries I'm using.  Any advice?

Cheers,
Cliff